Sunday, September 8, 2013

When one book closes . . .

Greetings, fellow readers!

This past week, I've been thinking a lot about those Big Life Changes that we all must go through but that as a college student, I seem to be encountering more frequently than the national average. Change is good, but it's also scary. Whether willing or unwilling, we all have to go through change; it's how we grow. If we're lucky, we have good friends to help us through.

That being said, I was scrolling through my Facebook news feed this evening, as all productive college students do on Sundays when they should be doing homework, when I came across a photo posted by Toad Hall Bookstore. The caption read, "When one book closes, another one opens. Sometimes I don't even wait that long." Once again, a simple observation from a fellow book lover turned out to be a profound metaphor for life (or at least my life!)

Well, I hear you saying, that's all deep and philosophical, but what about the book? Never fear, gentle readers, for the book is one which many of you have read and most of you have heard of:

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

I was introduced to the HBO series last spring by someone who is very dear to me, and the engaging storyline and immersive world of Westeros helped me through a very difficult time. No matter how bad things got, I knew I always had another life I could go to, one involving dragons, magic, and a cast of characters who, though they often fail, are for the most part loyal to their friends.

It's a brand new semester now, complete with a whole new set of changes, challenges, and celebrations. Though I feel a lot more sure of myself, I still have many questions, so what did I do? I turned once again to the imaginary life I learned to love this spring, only this time, I got in the old-fashioned way: through a paper and ink portal. As I read the story which is already familiar to me, I find myself thinking more and more about the characters in relation to the people in my own life. I think of my mom and how I see so much of her bravery and endurance in Catelyn Stark, of my friend Jordan and how she admires Arya's determination and audacity. I think of Jacob, whose insights are as penetrating as Tyrion Lannister's, and of my fellow Quidditch player, Jared, whose optimism and sense of humor mirror those of Robb Stark in the first chapters of the book.

They say a Dothraki wedding without at least three deaths is a dull affair; they also say that fiction is the lie that tells the truth. The characters I have met in Game of Thrones all remind me of people I have encountered in life. Some of them have been good friends, some enemies, but they have all changed me, shaped me, and made me who I am today. I know that no matter what I go through in life, I will always have friends, both fictional and non, that I can fall back on. These people are my teachers, advisors, companions, and playmates. They've helped me on my path through life, and they continually challenge me to grow and become a better person.

So, these are my final thoughts for you: don't be afraid to make that leap, to pick up that book and read a new story or write one of your own. I'm not just talking about your Shelf Life, I'm talking about your life here and now. Be like Daenerys and take control of your destiny, or like Tyrion and use your strengths to your advantage. Learn from your friends, stick to your guns, and remember: a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.

Until next time,
Anna

1 comment: