Sunday, April 13, 2014

Check out my haul!

Greetings, fellow readers! This weekend marks the semi-annual Alachua County Friends of the Library Booksale, an event which inspires near religious fervor among the bibliophiles of Gainesville. This year, I went with my friend Jordan, who has never been before. We ended up having a mini-Shakespeare in the Park cast reunion, as we ran into Ashlyn and David, our director and stage manager/god of thunder (aka special effects), while we were there.

There's something about books that brings people together like nothing else does. When you see someone reading one of your favorites, that's a book recommending a person. Though we bookworms are a solitary bunch--how can we get any reading done if we're surrounded by people?--when we do venture out, our best friends are those who also love to read. We divide ourselves into little cults and factions, worshiping poetry here, adoring stream of consciousness there. Like I said, it's almost religious.


As I said in the title, I came away with a fantastic haul this time, all for the grand total of $20.25. I'm most looking forward to reading Will in the World, a biography of William Shakespeare which comes highly recommended by both my mother the English professor and Ron Lit, booktuber extraordinaire. (See my previous posts for more about her.) I also got some poetry by Margaret Atwood, Mary Oliver, Seamus Heaney, Emily Bronte, and Charles Baudelaire, as well as my third copy of T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land and Other Poems and a funny little paperback full of limericks. I scored a copy of Anna Karenina bound in red leather for $1.50 and Harold Bloom's Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human in hardcover for 25 cents. IN HARDCOVER!!!!! Add in some more works about Shakespeare, some more poetry, and a couple of intriguing novels, and you have my haul for Spring 2014. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of reading to do!

Until next time,

Anna


1 comment: