Monday, June 2, 2014

Summer Reading List, Part 2

Greetings, readers! Before I get started on this second installment of my summer reading list for grownups, I have some exciting news: I got a job in a bookstore this summer! Needless to say, this is a dream come true for me, and I'm looking forward to many new literary adventures in the weeks and months ahead.

I haven't finished any more books since my last post, but I am currently reading four:

Firefly Summer by Maeve Binchy. I usually turn to Maeve Binchy for some literary comfort, but this book was actually really sad. It's very Great Gatsby-esque, with an American hotel tycoon expanding his business to a small Irish village in pursuit of his dream of returning to his homeland. However, his values clash with those of the villagers, with disastrous consequences. Nobody wins in this book; it was more of a bittersweet read than a comforting one.

The Vigilante Poets of Selwyn Academy by Kate Hattemer. Another YA recommendation from Book Riot, this novel is a hilarious account of what happens when the set of a reality tv show invades an arts high school in northern Minnesota. Though I am a bit older than the target audience for this book, I'm enjoying the jokes that only people who did music or drama in high school will understand. If this sounds like you, give this book a shot for a light, entertaining summer read.

My Life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead. I've discovered I have a penchant for literary memoirs, and My Life in Middlemarch is my latest fix in this genre. Some of you know that I wrote a 30-page thesis on George Eliot's first novel, Adam Bede, during my senior year of high school, and as I read this memoir, I'm reliving my own year of reading, research, and total immersion in Eliot's work. While the biographical sections are a little repetitive for me (I did read something like three different 800-biographies of Eliot while I was writing my thesis), this is a wonderful trip down memory lane for anyone who has enjoyed Eliot's work.

The Beetle by Richard Marsh. This is a gothic novel recommended by BookTuber Ron Lit. It's about a beetle that causes a political scandal in the British parliament. This book is very strange, and it's taking me forever to get through it because the story moves so slowly. My bookmark is languishing about halfway through this one.

Until next time,

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment