Thursday, December 17, 2015

End of Year Thoughts from Hamlet's Ophelia

Greetings, fellow readers! This semester has been exceptionally stressful and difficult for me because of grad school applications and general anxiety about the future, so I hope you will forgive me for not being as diligent in my posting as usual. As my penultimate semester of undergrad draws to a close, I've been thinking a lot about one of my favorite lines from Hamlet--funny, I know, how I always seem to come back to this particular play. The quote comes from Ophelia's mad scene, when she addresses the members of the court with striking directness. She says, "We know what we are, not what we may become."

This semester has been a struggle to live in the absolute present: I have very few concrete directions in which my life will go after graduation. Most notably, I won't know which, if any, grad schools I'm accepted to until March. All I know is who I am and what I have made of my life these past four years at UF. I'd like to think that when graduation comes (in four short months, wow!) I'll have left something meaningful behind.

I'm super uncertain about a lot of things, but whenever I feel my jitters about the future starting to stress me out, I try to think of what Ophelia says. I could never have anticipated what I would become during my time at UF, and no matter where I end up after, I have similar expectations that I will do extraordinary things.

That, dear readers, is my state of mind at the end of the year. I hope all your finals/end of year reports/work-related activities are going well, and I wish you all a healthy and happy holiday season.

Until next time,

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment