Tuesday, March 18, 2014

In Lieu of Mr. Darcy

Greetings, fellow readers! I have survived the Hell Week that is Shakespeare in the Park dress rehearsals and performances. After a solid week of going straight to the park from class, then staying until after ten o'clock at night, I am ready for some sleep! Alas, my professors have other plans: I have two exams and a computer science project due this week. (We're coding Breakout this week. If you thought that game was simple, boy, are you wrong!)

Anyway, I thought I'd alleviate some of the post-Shakespeare slump by writing about (what else?) Shakespeare. Specifically, I'd like to write about my first love: the bard's own King Henry V. This was the first Shakespeare play I saw adapted for film, and my little eight grade self fell head over heels in love with the eloquent, heroic Plantagenet. He could spend the wee hours of the morning expounding on the difficulties of leading men to their deaths, fight with the best of them throughout the day, then come home at night and say those three magic words--"Kiss me, Kate"--that made my little heart swell with joy.

I know a lot of readers have their literary loves--for a great many women, that love is Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy, but I've never loved any drawing room gentleman as much as I loved the man who fought on St. Crispin's Day. There's something endearing about Prince Hal, who was both beloved and admired by his friends and respected by his enemies. No matter how many fictional worthies I encounter in the books to come, he'll always have a special place in my Shakespeare-loving heart.

Until next time,

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment