Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Roundup

Greetings, fellow readers! This blog doesn't have a specific theme; it's more of a general roundup of all the books I've read and the bookish things I've done lately.

I haven't actually read too many novels recently, though I did finish A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki, which was really good. I've been reading Carol Ann Duffy's The Bees, which is the first collection of poetry she's published since becoming the Poet Laureate of the UK. (Fun facts about Duffy: in my Modern British Poetry class, I learned that she is the first woman, the first Scottish person, and the first LGBTQ person to hold the title of Poet Laureate--is that cool or what?) I haven't gotten past Part One of the book yet, mostly because Duffy's language is so good I want to savor it like it's orange blossom honey. She has this fantastic rendition of Ariel's "Where the bee sucks there suck I" speech from The Tempest that I am obsessed with. Some of my other favorites are "Mrs. Schofield's GCSE" and "Scheherazade." This is definitely a collection I'll take my time with.

This past weekend, I made a trip with my friend Jordan to Wild Iris, a small feminist bookstore in downtown Gainesville. After accidentally going to their old location and stopping at the public library to ask directions (I know, how nerdy is that?!), we finally made it, I with quarter-size blisters on the balls of my feet. The bookstore was eclectic: it's run entirely by volunteers, and they host regular art shows and open mic nights. The selection was a little narrow for my taste (even though I do consider myself a feminist FOR LIFE), but it was definitely a neat little place. I did end up buying some notebooks from there (because you can never have too many notebooks.)

It seems Shakespeare in the Park is not quite finished yet: my scenemates and I are going to perform in a local European festival sometime next month. It'll be a fun way to keep the excitement going now that the mainstage production is over.

That's all I have for now! Take care, and happy reading!

Until next time,

Anna


No comments:

Post a Comment